Classic Oatmeal Cookies
These are the chewy, old-fashioned oatmeal cookies that you remember from childhood. Be careful not to overbake these!
Makes: 60Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Beat together shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla, and water. Combine dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture. Fold in raisins.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 12 to 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before removing from baking sheets.