Classic Pavlova Cake
This light, beautiful, delicate, and delicious cake is enhanced by sweet strawberries and rich cream.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 egg whites
- 2 tsp. vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 quart strawberries, halved
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whip the egg whites, and as they stiffen, add the vinegar and slowly add the sugar. Pour into 2 glass pie pans (9 inches) that you’ve treated with nonstick spray.
- Bake the meringue for 2 hours. Then, turn off the oven and crack the door. Let the meringue rest for another hour. It should become very crisp and lightly browned. Do not store it if the weather is humid.
- Whip the cream and mix in the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Arrange a layer of whipped cream and strawberries onto the bottom of one of the cooled meringue crusts. Top with another layer of meringue, whipped cream and strawberries. Serve immediately.