Classic Pizza Turnovers
This turnover is like a pizza sandwich. Fill it with your favorite pizza toppings and enjoy!
Serves: 24Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 lbs. pizza dough
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups diced pepperoni
- 1 cup cooked bulk sausage
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. cornmeal
- Separate dough into three pieces. Place segments on a heavily floured work surface and roll each one into an 8-inch circle.
- Spread 1 cup of the mozzarella over the sauce on each dough circle. (You will have cheese over the entire circle.) Combine the pepperoni and sausage in a bowl. Distribute one-third of the meat mixture over half of each dough circle, leaving edges bare. Follow that with one-third of the mushrooms and peppers and one-third of the Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Fold dough over the filling to form a crescent. Press dough edges together, brushing edges with a little water if necessary. Sprinkle cornmeal over a baking sheet and place turnovers on the cornmeal. Cover with a damp towel and let stand 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- With a sharp knife, cut two slits in the tops of the turnovers. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.