Classic Polenta with Herbs and Parmesan
This recipe makes soft polenta the consistency of mashed potatoes. If you’re making firm polenta to cut into squares to broil, grill, or fry, use 6
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 7 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 oz. unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium onion, peeled and finely minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add salt, and using your hand to drop the cornmeal into the boiling water, let the cornmeal slip slowly between your fingers to make a very slim stream. You should be able to see each grain. Don’t dump the cornmeal into the water or you will get a mass of glue.
- Stir constantly while adding the cornmeal. Reduce heat to a simmer and keep stirring for about 20 minutes as it thickens.
- Stir in the butter, garlic, onion, herbs, Parmesan cheese, and pepper. Serve immediately.