Classic Rice Pudding
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups milk
- 1 orange
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pour the milk into the top pan of a double boiler and scald over (not touching) simmering water. Peel the orange as if it were an apple, going round and round so the rind is in one long spiral. Add the orange peel, rice, ½ cup sugar, and salt to the milk and stir to dissolve the sugar. Cover and cook over boiling water for about 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Stir occasionally during the first part of cooking. Remove and discard the orange rind.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cream and egg yolks. Stir a small amount of the hot rice mixture into the cream mixture, then stir the cream mixture into the rice mixture. Continue cooking, covered, for about 20 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Stir now and then. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Pour into dessert dishes and let cool. Mix remaining sugar with cinnamon. Sprinkle the pudding with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.