Regular boiled rice just can’t compare to rich, creamy Italian risotto. One you’ve mastered the basic recipe, jazz it up by adding fresh mushrooms, artichokes, or other vegetables typically featured in Italian cooking.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small white onion, peeled and minced
- ½ cup short-grained rice, preferably arborio
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 Tbsp. chopped basil
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the minced onion, and sauté over medium heat until it is soft and translucent. Add the rice, and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes until the grains are shiny and opaque.
- Stir in ¼ cup of the chicken stock. Continue slowly adding the stock, ¼ cup at a time, and stirring until it is absorbed. The texture of the rice should be rich and creamy.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the butter, cheese, and basil. Serve immediately.