Classic Strawberry Cake
Opt for frozen strawberries or strawberry preserves in place of the fresh strawberries to enjoy a taste of summer on cold winter nights. For variation, try raspberries or blackberries in place of the strawberries (changing the gelatin flavor to match the berries), or lemon gelatin with berries of your choice.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (18.25 oz.) white cake mix plus ingredients called for on box
- 4 cups strawberries, mashed
- 1 package (3 oz.) strawberry gelatin
- 1 large egg
- 1 tub (16 oz.) thawed whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Generously grease 13" x 9" cake pan. Set aside.
- Prepare batter according to instructions on package, adding the additional egg. Turn batter into cake pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes, then poke holes in the cake using the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Combine mashed strawberries and gelatin in a small bowl. Top cake with strawberry mixture. Cool another 10 minutes, then frost with whipped topping.