Classic Tomato Sauce
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) Italian plum tomatoes, with juice, chopped
- 4 fresh basil leaves, torn
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Put the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until it begins to soften and sizzle. Do not allow the garlic to brown. Immediately add the tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes for a few minutes, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. The tomatoes will be watery at first, but the liquid will reduce in cooking. Add the basil leaves and salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.