Clean French Onion Soup
With a few ingenious swaps and natural substitutions, you can create an old favorite without the guilt.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 Vidalia onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried thyme
- ½ cup vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 4½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. all-natural sea salt
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 4 slices 100% whole-wheat French bread
- 4 oz. Swiss cheese
- In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and cook the onions until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, pour the sautéed vegetables, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, stock, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- While the soup is cooking, preheat the oven to the broiler setting. Lightly toast the slices of French bread.
- To serve, ladle the soup into 4 broiler-safe bowls, place a slice of the toasted French bread on top of the soup in each bowl, followed by a slice of cheese on top of the bread. Place the soup under the broiler until the cheese has melted.