Cocoa-Black Bean Soup
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp. peanut oil
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. dried ground ancho pepper (or salt-free chili powder)
- ⅛ tsp. ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp. groud cinnamon
- 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. jalapeño jelly
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt-added black beans
- 4 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large, deep nonstick sauté pan, heat the oil on medium. Add the onion and pepper; sauté until tender.
- Add the garlic, black pepper, ancho pepper or chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and cocoa; stir well, slightly sautéing the spices. Stir in the jalapeño jelly until dissolved.
- Add the water and black beans. Bring to serving temperature over medium-low heat. Just prior to serving, add the red wine vinegar and olive oil, and stir well.