The orange extract tucked in the mix adds a fragrant sweetness that sings of spring. Consider sugared orange rinds to decorate this cake. Cut them into small pieces and sprinkle them on the cake or use the curved whole rinds to create designs in the frosting.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) devil’s food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups cola
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. orange extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tub (12 oz.) chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, cola, oil, orange extract, and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer set to medium speed to form a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into cake pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake on a wire rack. Open tub of frosting and microwave for 15-second intervals until frosting is melted. Pour over cooled cake.