Coconut Braised Beef
This tender beef dish with caramel-colored sauce makes a delicious addition to any menu!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 2 hot dried red chilies
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece (1 inch) ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- Juice and zest of 2 medium limes
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 lbs. stewing beef
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups cooked rice
- In a food processor, place chilies, garlic, ginger, chili powder, lime juice and zest; process until finely chopped.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add spice paste from the food processor; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes.
- Add stewing beef to skillet; cook for about 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Pour in coconut milk; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover; allow mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 1⁄2 hours, or until meat is extremely tender.
- Remove lid, add salt, and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until sauce is thick and caramel colored.