These chewy bars are topped with confectioners' sugar when cooled to seal in the moistness. For a splurge, use macadamia nuts in place of the walnuts.
Serves: 36Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped coconut
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In 9-by-13-inch pan, combine vanilla wafer crumbs, butter, and 1⁄2 cup chopped coconut and mix well. Press into pan. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven.
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks until light colored. Add brown sugar, 1 cup coconut, and nuts and beat well. In small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into the egg yolk mixture. Pour on top of crust and bake 30 minutes or until set. Cool completely, then sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.