Coconut-Citrus Frozen Tart
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1¾ cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into ½" cubes
- ¾ cup lightly packed sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 pints lemon sorbet, softened
- ½ cup cream of coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread 1 cup coconut on a baking sheet. Bake, stirring frequently, for 7 to 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Let cool, then transfer to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, and salt and pulse 3 or 4 times to mix well. Scatter the butter cubes over the flour mixture and pulse 10 to 15 times until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 3 tablespoons ice water and pulse 15 times until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. If the dough is still dry, add more ice water 1 teaspoon at a time and pulse 2 or 3 times. Add remaining coconut and pulse just to combine.
- Scrape the dough out onto a work surface and form it into a ball. Flatten it into a 5" disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out dough into a 12" round. Transfer dough to a 9" tart pan and press it into the bottom and sides. Trim the edge of the pastry to fit the pan. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven again to 350°F. Line the tart shell with a piece of aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake the shell for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and weights. Continue to bake the shell for 15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool on a rack for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the sorbet and cream of coconut and stir until well blended. Spoon the sorbet mixture into the tart shell. Cover the tart with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours until frozen.
- Before serving, sprinkle the toasted coconut evenly over the top of the tart.