Coconut Cream of Broccoli Soup
This creamy dairy-free variation is a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables. The russet potatoes in this recipe serve as a natural thickening agent to your soup, replacing any gluten base.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 8 cups finely chopped broccoli florets and stems
- 10 cups gluten-free chicken stock
- 1½ can (14 oz.) light coconut milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm up the olive and coconut oils. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent approximately 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, broccoli, and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer until the broccoli and potatoes are fully cooked. This takes approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree well, working in batches.
- Return to the pot and add the coconut milk, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Serve warm.