Coconut Cream Pie
This coconut cream pie filling has a creamy texture, while the top layer contains the nutty crunch of toasted coconut.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 premade pie shell (9 inches)
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 6 large egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread shredded coconut on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until light brown.
- Heat coconut milk, 1 1⁄2 cups cream, salt, cornstarch, and 1⁄3 cup sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until the mixture simmers. Remove 1⁄2 cup of the heated cream mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in eggs, then pour egg mixture into the saucepan. Cook, whisking, until mixture thickens (about 5 minutes). Strain filling into pie crust. Chill at least 2 hours.
- Whip remaining cream with remaining sugar to stiff peaks; spoon onto chilled pie. Sprinkle pie with toasted coconut.