Coconut Curry Chicken
The coconut milk provides a nice balance to the red chilies in this keto-diet friendly dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 6 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 small green serrano chili
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 dried red chilies, roughly pounded
- 1⁄2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken, cubed
- 1 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- Seed and stem serrano chili and place in a mortar. Add ginger and garlic and pound with a pestle until a paste forms. Set aside.
- In a small skillet over medium heat cumin and coriander seeds. When the spices release their aroma, about 3 minutes, remove from heat and let cool. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add curry leaves and onion; sauté for about 1 minute. Add chili-garlic paste and dried red chilies. Sauté over medium heat until onion is well browned and the oil begins to separate from the sides of the onion mixture, about 8 minutes.
- Add toasted cumin and coriander seeds, turmeric powder, and salt; sauté for 1 minute.
- Add chicken, mix well and transfer into a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker. You can add up to 1⁄4 cup of water if you like, although it's not necessary.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours until chicken is cooked through.
- During the last 30 minutes, add the coconut milk and simmer. Serve hot.