Coconut Custard Pie
For added flavor and texture, toast additional coconut in the oven and sprinkle it over slices of pie before serving.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1⁄4 tsp. coconut extract
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), unbaked
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and butter until completely combined. Add the eggs, salt, vanilla, and coconut extract and mix well. Slowly whisk in the warm milk until smooth. Fold in 1 cup of coconut.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and place on a baking sheet. Bake in the lower third of the oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325°F and bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is set at the edges and just slightly wobbly in the center. Do not over bake or the custard will become watery. Cool completely before slicing.
- Meanwhile, spread 1⁄2 cup sweetened shredded coconut onto a baking sheet. Toast coconut in the oven for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned and fragrant. Set aside to cool. Sprinkle over slices of pie.