Coconut Lentil Soup
Coconut is a surprising and delicious addition to lentil soup.
- 2 cups lentils
- 4 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14 oz.) chopped tomatoes
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cans coconut milk, light
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Rinse the lentils and discard any that are discolored and any stones.
- In a stockpot, combine the lentils, vegetable broth, olive oil, tomatoes, carrot, onion, celery, garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, sugar and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring frequently, for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk, ginger and lemongrass. Cook until heated through.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with a wedge of lime.