Coconut-Lime Icebox Pie
This recipe uses gelatin in place of the standard eggs for thickening. You can use an equal amount of agar-agar for a vegetarian version.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 9 chocolate graham cracker sheets
- 4 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. grated lime zest
- 1 tsp. coconut flavoring
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 envelope (0.25 oz.) unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cups whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 1⁄4 cup sugar and chocolate graham cracker sheets in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until evenly ground. Pour melted butter over the top and pulse several times until the butter is evenly combined and the mixture resembles wet sand. Transfer the crumbs to a 9-inch pie plate and press down into the plate until the crust is even across the bottom and sides. Bake for 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While the crust is baking, combine lime juice, lime zest coconut flavoring, and yogurt in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over the top of the yogurt and allow it to sit for 5 minutes. Stir the gelatin into the yogurt mixture and set aside.
- Combine the coconut milk and remaining sugar in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Carefully pour the coconut milk mixture into the yogurt mixture and stir for several minutes until completely mixed together and the gelatin has dissolved. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell.
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Serve with fresh whipped cream.