Coconut Milk Fried Chicken
If you can’t find ground spices, you can use whole spices and grind them in a food processor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 50 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 5 small shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 3 lbs. chicken parts
- 3 cups peanut oil
- Combine the spices, sugar, salt, and shallots in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles creamy mashed potatoes. Add the coconut milk and pulse till combined. Rinse the chicken pieces and trim any fat. Place the chicken into a glass bowl and cover with the coconut milk mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the milk mixture and pat dry. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Place 1" of oil in a chicken fryer or Dutch oven on medium or medium-high heat. The oil should measure 375°F but shouldn’t smoke.
- Place two to three pieces of the chicken in the oil at a time. Fry for 10 minutes on each side. Larger pieces of dark meat may need to be fried up to 12 minutes on each side. Serve warm.