Coconut Oil Pie Dough
Butter adds flavor to this pie crust, the coconut oil makes it light and flaky, and the shortening gives it body. This recipe makes 2 pie shells.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- In medium bowl, combine butter, coconut oil, and shortening with 1 tablespoon flour. Beat until combined; place in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk together remaining flour, sugar, and salt and mix well.
- When butter mixture has chilled, cut into pieces over flour mixture. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter mixture into flour mixture until particles are fine. Sprinkle milk over mixture, tossing with fork. Then add enough water, tossing with fork, until particles just come together when pressed with fingers.
- Form into two balls and flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour. When ready to bake, lightly flour a work surface, and roll each half to a 12-inch circle.