Coconut Overload Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
These Coconut Overload Cupcakes will most definitely be the perfect ending to your springtime get-together or Easter feast. After one bite, coconut fans might have a hard time sharing.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tsp. coconut extract
- 1⁄2 cup plus ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Colorful candy, for garnish (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup coconut rum
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut, plus more to top the cupcakes
- 8 ounces cream cheese (not nonfat), room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Coconut Overload Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a regular-sized muffin tin by lining it with cupcake papers. In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a pourable measuring cup, combine egg whites, coconut milk, coconut rum and coconut extract. In a stand mixer, cream together sugar and butter until light and airy, about 4 minutes on medium speed. Alternately add dry and wet ingredients (starting and ending with dry) in three additions.
- Mix in coconut until fully combined. Be careful not to over-mix batter. Fill each prepared muffin tin ⅔ full with batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Leave in the pan to cool about 5 minutes before removing and cooling completely.
- Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting: To make the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer until smooth, about 4 minutes. Add coconut extract and powdered sugar and beat to blend. Spread frosting on each cupcake and top with shredded coconut. Garnish each cupcake with seasonal candy of your choice.
- Tip: Keep the cupcakes refrigerated until ready to serve.