Coconut Soup with Chicken
This Thai coconut soup with chicken is commonly served as street food because the longer it simmers, the more flavorful it gets.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lemongrass stalk, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 can (15 oz.) chicken broth
- 1½ Tbsp. grated lime zest
- 1” piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized slices
- 4 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup fish broth
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 Thai chili peppers, seeded and sliced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Remove the outer leaves from the lemongrass stalk. Cut off the base end and the top dried portion. Cut the stalk in half lengthwise and then into 1" chunks.
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, lemongrass, lime zest, and ginger. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken breast, mushrooms, fish broth, lime juice, honey, and chili peppers. Cover and bring to a boil again. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Remove the lemongrass, ginger, and chili. Dish and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve while warm.