Coconut Soup with Mixed Seafood
The flavor of the sauce and spices in this soup will stand up against any type of seafood you want to add, so experiment and have fun!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 4 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. sliced Thai chilies
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1½" pieces
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and cut in half
- 2 small Thai chilies
- 8 slices galangal
- 1 can chicken stock
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, torn in fourths
- 6 oz. shrimp, scallops, and clams
- 5 oz. button mushrooms
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. palm sugar
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Slightly bruise lemongrass, shallots, galangal, and chilies using a pestle or meat tenderizer.
- In a saucepan, combine stock with coconut milk. Bring to boil. Add lemongrass mixture and lime leaves to boiling stock. Simmer for a few minutes on low heat.
- Add seafood, and 1 minute later add mushrooms. With heat on low, continue to simmer until clam shells open. Season with salt and sugar. Pour the soup in bowls and garnish with the cilantro and chili sauce.