Coconut and Tomato Soup (Tamatar Ka Shorba)
Use vine-grown tomatoes to get the divine red color that is characteristic of this soup, tamatar ka shorba.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds, roasted
- Table salt, to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (14 oz.) light coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 sprigs curry leaves, stemmed
- ½ tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 dried red chili, roughly pounded
- Combine the tomatoes, cumin seeds, and salt in a blender; blend well.
- In a deep stockpot, combine the blended tomatoes and the water. Heat on medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the coconut milk and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, heat the oil in a skillet on medium. Add the curry leaves, mustard seeds, and the red chili. When the mustard seeds pop, remove the skillet from the heat and add the mixture to the soup; mix well.
- Serve hot or cold.