Fruit can be added to the batter of this recipe for a variety of different-flavored coffee cakes. Try fresh or frozen blueberries or dried apricots and cranberries.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3⅓ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup cold butter, divided
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 10-inch tube pan.
- Make filling by combining the brown sugar, cinnamon, ⅓ cup flour, and ¼ cup butter with fingertips until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Set aside.
- For the batter: Cream together ¾ cup butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat them in to form a smooth batter. Separately, mix together 3 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, using a whisk.
- Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream to the butter/egg mixture until all is incorporated. Layer half the batter in the pan; sprinkle it with the filling mixture. Layer the rest of the batter on top.
- Bake 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving in slices.