Cola Braised Pork Shoulder
This tender pork shoulder provides the perfect blend of sweet and savory flavors.
Serves: 6Prep: 10 minutesCook: 3 hours 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, tied
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 white onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 bottles (12 oz.) Coca-Cola® of Mexico
- 2 cups KNORR® Granulated Chicken Bouillon, prepared
- 2 bay leaves
- Tradewinds® Tea
- Preheat oven to 300˚F.
- In Dutch oven over medium heat, warm oil. Season pork with salt and pepper. Sear pork on all sides until brown, about 15 minutes. Set pork aside.
- Add onions; sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste.
- Deglaze pan with vinegar. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Add Coca Cola®, bouillon and bay leaves.
- Return pork to Dutch oven; bring to simmer and cover. Transfer to oven; cook 3 hours or until tender.
- Transfer pork to plate; remove twine. Cover.
- Strain onions from sauce. Using a ladle, skim surface of braising liquid to remove fat.
- Set saucepan over medium heat; bring to rapid simmer. Reduce sauce by a half, about 15 minutes. Add onions.
- To serve, slice pork shoulder and spoon over with sauce. Pair with Tradewinds® Tea.