Colcannon with Bitter Greens and Parmesan
This traditional Irish dish is like a kiss of spring on the dinner table. It’s savory and slightly cheesy, and will leave everyone clamoring for more.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 large red potatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups roughly chopped kale
- 1 1⁄2 cups roughly chopped Swiss chard
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cover pan. Cook until tender, approximately 20 minutes, and drain.
- In a medium skillet, warm butter over medium heat. Add kale, Swiss chard, and remaining salt. Stir until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add kale mixture and heavy cream to potatoes. Mash with a potato masher until no lumps remain. Stir in Parmesan and pepper. Garnish with parsley.