Cold Avocado Soup
This makes a wonderful summer lunch served with a fresh fruit salad.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium-sized green tomato
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 fresh habanero chilies (¼ cup canned jalapeños can be substituted)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup lime juice
- Remove the skin from the onion and chop into ¼" pieces. Remove the skin from the garlic and mince. Remove the skin from the tomato and mash with a potato masher. Peel and pit the avocados, then cut into 2" pieces. Remove the stems and seeds from the chilies and chop into ¼" pieces.
- Combine all the ingredients except the sour cream and lime juice in a food processor or blender. You may need to do it in 2 or 3 batches. Blend on medium setting for 3 minutes or until the ingredients are well melded. Strain and discard any chunks.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours. Remove any fat that has congealed on the top of the soup. Stir and refrigerate for an additional hour.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of lime juice before serving.