Cold Basil and Fresh Tomato Soup
This is a wonderful summer soup served cold, or heated for a cold day. It is also good for you! The red tomatoes are full of vitamin C. (The amount of vitamin C in tomatoes increases as they ripen.) This soup also freezes beautifully!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 8 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. ripe tomatoes, halved and cored
- 1 cup beef broth
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (about 20 leaves)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a blender, purée tomatoes, beef broth, wine, garlic powder, basil, salt, and pepper. Chill overnight. Add scallions as a garnish at the last minute.