College Inn® Savory French Toast Bake
An easy overnight breakfast casserole with layers of bread and Gruyère cheese baked together with a savory custard.
Prep: 10 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hour
- 1 loaf (1 lb.) day-old French bread, sliced into about 15 pieces (½”wide each)
- 2 cups College Inn® 40% Less Sodium Chicken Broth
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped chives or green onions, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese (about 7 oz.)
- Arrange bread slices, uncovered, on a baking sheet; let dry 8 hours or overnight, turning over slices halfway through.
- Grease a 9”x13” baking dish. Whisk together broth, eggs, chives, mustard and pepper in a medium bowl. Dip one slice of bread completely in egg mixture, then place in the baking dish. Sprinkle with about 2 Tbsp. of cheese. Repeat with remaining bread slices and cheese, overlapping the bread in 3 rows in the baking dish. Pour any remaining egg mixture evenly over the bread and sprinkle with any remaining cheese. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and let the casserole sit out at room temperature while oven is heating, at least 15 minutes. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes until puffed, golden brown and set in center. Let stand 10 minutes before serving with additional chives, if desired.
- TIP: To dry bread faster, toast in a 375°F oven on a baking sheet for 12-15 minutes.
- VARIATION: To make Savory French Toast with Ham or Bacon, prepare recipe as directed, except sprinkle with 6 oz. diced cooked ham or ½ cup cooked, crumbled bacon after baking.