Company’s Coming Four-Cheese Lasagna
If you like a bubbly brown top on lasagna, put the pan under the broiler for a few minutes when it’s done baking.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. lean ground chuck
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 8 oz. fresh button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 oz. dried lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1½ cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1½ cups grated Romano cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic to a deep 3½-quart nonstick skillet or large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté until the hamburger is browned and the onion is transparent. Drain off and discard any excess fat. Stir in the tomato juice, mushrooms, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- To prepare the lasagna, treat a 9" × 13" nonstick baking pan with nonstick spray; layer half of the noodles, half of the hot prepared sauce, half of the ricotta, half of the Parmigiano, half of the Romano, and half of the mozzarella cheese and then repeat in another layer in that order. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Leave the aluminum foil cover in place and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, cover, and let stand 20 minutes before cutting.