Cooked Tomatillo Salsa
Salsa verde (green salsa) is usually made with roasted bell peppers. This version, made with tomatillos, is tangy and spicy.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ lb. tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 medium habanero pepper, chopped
- ½ cup filtered water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- ½ tsp. all-natural sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Combine tomatillos in a medium saucepan with jalapeño and habanero peppers and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
- In medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; cook until onion is crisp-tender, about 5–6 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- In a blender or food processor, combine tomatillo mixture and remaining ingredients. Blend or process to desired consistency. Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours to blend flavors. Will last for 2–3 days, covered, in fridge.