These gingerbread cookies are sturdy and will hold up to being hung on the Christmas tree. You can add
Makes: 36 cookiesHands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 36 cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup Grandma’s molasses
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ cup egg whites
- 1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter, brown sugar, egg, and molasses. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves; add to butter mixture. You may need to use a dough hook to mix it; this is very stiff dough.
- Roll dough out; cut into desired shapes. Make holes in top with straws. Bake 6–8 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add confectioners’ sugar until mixture is smooth. Mix water and lemon; add to confectioners’ mixture a few drops at a time until correct consistency is reached.
- Decorate cookies as desired with icing; allow to dry. Thread a ribbon through hole in top and hang on Christmas tree.