Corn and Bacon Soup
For a quicker version, use 3
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 medium ears corn, husked
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- ¾ lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- In a large saucepan, place the ears of corn and enough cold water to cover them. Bring to a boil over high heat; then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Reserve 3 cups of the cooking liquid. After the corn cools slightly, use a sharp knife to slice off the kernels.
- In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the bacon for 3 minutes. Add the leek slices and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the reserved corn broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add milk to the soup pot, along with the corn kernels. Simmer very gently for about 10 more minutes. Add the parsley before serving.