Corn and Cheddar Spoon Bread
This traditional southern dish is like a cornmeal soufflé. Serve it with country ham, roast chicken, or a rich stew.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. vegetable shortening, divided
- ½ cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (15 oz.) cream-style corn
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" × 9" casserole dish with 1 tablespoon of shortening. Melt the remaining ½ cup shortening and let cool slightly.
- Whisk together the cornmeal and eggs until well blended. Add the melted shortening, corn, salt, milk, and baking soda; mix well, and stir in the cheese.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish and bake for 45–50 minutes, or until lightly browned.