When the carnivals and fairs have closed up for the season, you can still have fun by making corn dogs at home!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 15 minutes
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1⁄2 flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, mustard, salt, and pepper. In small bowl, combine egg and buttermilk and beat well. Stir into flour mixture. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pat hot dogs dry with a paper towel and thread with skewers.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat vegetable oil to 350°F. Dredge hot dogs in 1⁄4 cup flour, shake off excess, then dip into the batter until fully coated. Carefully lower into the hot oil, two at a time, and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with tongs and drain on paper towels. Serve hot.