Corn Fritters (Maki Ke Pakore)
These corn fritters are delicious with a sweet and spicy chutney.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 2 slices white bread, ripped into small pieces
- 1 piece ginger (1⁄2 inch), peeled and grated
- 1 serrano green chili, minced
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. minced cilantro
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. chickpea flour
- 1⁄8 tsp. baking powder
- 4 Tbsp. water, at room temperature
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- To make the batter, combine all the ingredients except the oil in a mixing bowl. Mix well, adding enough water to coat all vegetables.`
- In a deep pan, add the oil to about 1 inch depth. Heat the oil on high until smoking, then lower the heat to medium. Press a spoonful of the mixture between 2 spoons to get a nice compact fritter. Use 1 of the spoons to push the fritter into the oil. Add a few spoonfuls at a time, ensuring that the balls do not stick to one another. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry the fritter until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked fritters from the oil. Transfer to a paper towel to absorb the extra oil. Skim any loose bits from the oil and discard. Continue until you have used up all the mixture.
- Serve immediately with your choice of chutney.