Corn Polenta Chowder
This excellent thick chowder is loaded with sweet corn flavor. Top it with a little crumbled bacon if you like
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 cups chicken broth, divided
- ⅓ cup cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 2 packages (10 oz.) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- In large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper, jalapeños, potatoes, and 3 cups broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in small microwave-safe bowl, combine cornmeal and 1 cup chicken broth. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, remove and stir, then microwave for 2–4 minutes longer or until mixture thickens.
- Stir in adobo sauce and remaining 1 cup chicken broth. Add to soup along with corn. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add the half-and-half, cilantro, and cayenne pepper and stir well. Simmer 5 minutes. Serve immediately.