Corn and Spinach Pockets Stuffed with Cheese and Artichokes
Simply because a dish is vegetarian does not mean it has to be tasteless. This recipe is a perfect example.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 cup corn flour
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 box (10 oz.) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1 box (10 oz.) frozen spinach, thawed, moisture squeezed out
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup minced chives
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Place 2 eggs, milk, and 1 tsp. salt in food processor and process until smooth. With the motor on low, slowly add the flour. Scrape down the sides of the container often. Add butter.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Pour in 1⁄4 cup batter. Tilt the pan to spread the batter evenly. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, turning once. Repeat with remaining batter. Place crepes on sheets of waxed paper that have been dusted with extra corn flour. Set aside
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add artichokes to food processor with spinach, process, and slowly add the cheeses, chives, garlic, nutmeg, pepper, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and remaining egg.
- Lay out the crepes on a nonstick baking sheet or one covered with a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Divide the filling among the crepes, spooning the mixture onto one half and leaving the other half plain.
- Fold crepes over filling and bake for 20 minutes or until well browned and filling is bubbling out.