Most people love the crunchy edges of cornbread. Using corn stick pans permits everyone to enjoy the crunchy exterior and soft interior.
Serves: 14Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup minced green bell pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Use a basting brush to apply vegetable oil to 2 cast iron corn stick pans. Place the pans in the middle of the oven.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cornmeal. In a large bowl whisk the egg, sour cream, milk, bell pepper, and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Once it is thoroughly combined and the egg is completely incorporated, pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until the dry ingredients are moistened but not smooth.
- Remove one of the pans. Use a small cup or spoon to fill the pan about two-thirds with batter. Place the first tray in the oven and repeat with the second. The pans should sizzle when you add the mix.
- Bake the sticks for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully remove from the pan immediately. Serve while hot.