Corned Beef, Cabbage, and Potato Cakes
These are hearty enough to be a meal all on their own, but can also be served with poached eggs or soup. If you like, you can add 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp Irish Cheddar to the cakes.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 bag (24 oz.) steam and mash cut russet potatoes
- 1⁄2 lb. deli-sliced corned beef, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cabbage and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove pan from heat and cool.
- Prepare potatoes according to package directions. Transfer hot potatoes to a large bowl and mash. Add cabbage, corned beef, cream, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine. Chill the mixture for 1 hour.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl and place eggs in a second shallow bowl. Divide potato mixture into 12 cakes. Coat each cake in flour, dip in beaten egg, then coat again in flour. Place coated cakes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add cakes, 3 or 4 at a time, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Serve hot.