Corned Beef and Cabbage
Many Americans have Irish roots, and corned beef and cabbage is a popular dish around St. Patrick’s Day. This recipe will leave you with plenty of delicious leftover corned beef for sandwiches or a casserole.
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 30 minutes
- 1 corned beef brisket (4 lbs.), with spice packet
- 1 medium bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 medium head green cabbage, cut into wedges
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 12 small red potatoes
- Put corned beef in a large stockpot with spice packet, bay leaf, and pepper and cover with water. Bring to a boil; skim off foam. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for about 3½ hours.
- Add vegetables to the pot. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Arrange corned beef on a platter and surround with vegetables. Slice meat across the grain.