Cornish Picnic Pies
With picnic pies, you offer party guests individual pot pies packed with tasty fillings of veggies and protein. This version mimics the typical Cornish hand pie, filled with steak, hard-cooked egg, root vegetables, onion and leeks.
Serves: 12Prep: 40 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 3 Tbsp. Kroger® All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup leek, sliced
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 8 ounces round steak, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1⁄2 cup Kroger® Beef Broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 large eggs, hard-cooked, peeled and cut in half
- To make dough, in a medium bowl, combine 1½ cups flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in just enough ice water to form dough. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- To make filling, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, leek and potato; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes until vegetables start to soften. Add steak, flour and thyme; stir to incorporate flour. Slowly add broth, whisking to combine and thicken. Remove from heat.
- Unwrap chilled dough; divide into 12 portions. On a well-floured surface, roll each out into 6” round. Lay each in cup of 12-cup muffin pan; trim edges to leave ½”-¾” rim. Roll trimmed edges into 12 small rounds to top pies.
- Place 1 egg half, yolk-side up, in each crust. Spoon ¼ cup filling on and around each egg half, pressing to fill crust. Top each with small dough round, sealing to rim of bottom crust.
- Bake pies 30-40 minutes until crust is lightly browned. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 day. Reheat to serve.