Cornmeal Chicken Bites with Ranch Dip
For these delicious, crunchy chicken bites, soak the chicken in buttermilk overnight. Dredge the drained chicken and then dredge it in seasoned cornmeal before frying it until golden brown. Finish cooking the chicken in a warm oven and serve with Ranch dressing for dipping.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 9 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-by-2-inch pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup ranch dressing
- Put chicken pieces in glass baking dish and cover with buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and cayenne pepper in a shallow dish.
- Drain chicken and discard buttermilk mixture. Dredge chicken into cornmeal mixture and turn to coat, pressing coating onto chicken. Let stand on wire racks for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large, heavy skillet, heat vegetable oil. Heat over medium-high heat until oil shimmers. Working in batches, fry chicken, turning occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pieces.
- Finish cooking chicken in the oven for 10 minutes until thoroughly cooked. Insert bamboo skewers into cooked chicken and serve with ranch dressing.