Cornmeal Fried Fish
Catfish is traditionally breaded in cornmeal and fried, but try this with any white fish fillet.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups (12 oz.) frozen French fries
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 lbs. fish fillets, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 medium lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spread French fries in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, stir, and bake an additional 7 to 10 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Sprinkle with 1⁄2 tsp. salt.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, the remaining teaspoon salt, and pepper. In another shallow bowl, combine egg and milk and beat well.
- Pat fish dry. Dip into egg mixture, then into cornmeal mixture, coating both sides. Let stand on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet until it reaches 375°F. Fry fish over medium heat, turning once, until golden brown, about 8 to 12 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve with French fries, ketchup, and lemon wedges.