Cottage Cheese Blintzes with Strawberry Sauce
Try substituting the strawberry jam with you favorite flavor. It's delicious with blueberry jam, orange marmalade, or even lemon curd.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. softened butter, divided
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 Tbsp. sherry
- Beat 3 eggs in a bowl until blended. Combine flour and salt in a separate bowl. Alternately add flour mixture and the milk to eggs in batches, beating with a handheld electric mixer at low speed only until smooth.
- Preheat a small skillet over medium heat; brush with melted butter. To make each blintz, pour about 3 tablespoons batter into the skillet and immediately rotate the pan to form a thin sheet about 6 inches in diameter. Cook on one side only for about 30 seconds, or until the bottom is golden brown. Place cooked side up on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat remaining egg. Add cottage cheese, lemon zest, sugar, 3 tablespoons softened butter, and vanilla until well mixed. Fold in the sour cream.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons filling onto the cooked side of each blintz. Fold opposite edges of the blintz toward the center, and then roll crosswise with ends tucked in.
- In a large, heavy skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over low heat. Place 8 blintzes, folded side down, in the skillet. Cook, turning once, for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden on both sides. Place on a heated platter; keep warm.
- Add preserves to the skillet and heat just until melted. Remove from heat and stir in sherry. Serve sauce with the blintzes.