Cottage Cheese Blintzes with Strawberry Sauce
Serves: 8Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1¼ cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. softened butter, divided
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup strawberry preserves
- 1 Tbsp. sherry
- To make the blintzes, beat the eggs in a bowl until blended. Combine the flour and salt in a separate bowl. Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk to the eggs in batches, beating with a handheld electric mixer at low speed only until smooth.
- Preheat a small skillet over medium heat; brush with melted butter. To make each blintz, pour about 3 tablespoons batter into the skillet and immediately rotate the pan to form a thin sheet about 6" in diameter. Cook on one side only for about 30 seconds, or until the bottom is golden brown. Place cooked side up on paper towels.
- To make the filling, in a small bowl, stir together the cottage cheese, lemon zest, egg, sugar, 3 tablespoons butter, and vanilla until well mixed. Fold in the sour cream.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons filling onto the cooked side of each blintz. Fold opposite edges of the blintz toward the center, and then roll crosswise with ends tucked in.
- In a large, heavy skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter over low heat. Place 8 blintzes, folded side down, in the skillet. Cook, turning once, for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden on both sides. Place on a heated platter; keep warm.
- To make the sauce, add the preserves to the skillet and heat just until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the sherry. Serve with the blintzes.