Cottage Pie with Carrots, Parsnips, and Celery
Cottage pie is a shepherd’s pie made with beef instead of lamb. In this version carrots, parsnips, and celery are cooked with the beef for a hearty filling.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a medium baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add the onion, carrot, parsnip, and celery and sauté, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic and paprika and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add ground beef, salt, and pepper and cook, breaking up chunks with wooden spoon, for 5 minutes, or until beef is browned. Drain and discard excess fat. Stir in stock and Worcestershire sauce and cook until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over the top and place in oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until potatoes are browned.