Cottage Pie with Sweet Potato Crust
Ground beef and veggies topped with a heavenly crust of mashed sweet potatoes. A pressure cooker leaves the sweet potatoes fork tender in just 5 minutes; boil for 15 to 20 minutes if you don’t have one.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp. salt-free tomato paste
- 2 tsp. sodium-free beef bouillon granules
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Take out a 2-quart ovenproof casserole and set aside.
- Measure 1 cup water into the bottom of your pressure cooker. Place sweet potatoes into the steamer basket and place in pot. Secure lid and place over high heat. Once pressurized, reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place pan under cold running water until depressurized. Open pot, drain, and mash sweet potatoes well. Add butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon to pot and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and spoon beef filling into casserole dish.
- Spoon mashed sweet potato over top and smooth evenly to form a top crust.
- Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.